How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26738
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 90 acres of hunting land &, cannot keep neighboring

Customer Question

I have 90 acres of hunting land &, cannot keep neighboring people off my place. I've had it surveyed and staked with T posts ,put up signs over the years &, sent a certified letter to the main offender with a survey copy and notice of trepass violation on my place. He sighned for it, never opened it and sent it back to me unopened. Still come to find out when tha cats away the mice will play. What should I do? I have owned the place since 1991.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.

In what US state are you? Have you involved the authorities?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

I do not know what US state you are in but in general, there are several things that you can do to eliminate the problem. If the signs and fences don't work, you can contact a lawyer and have him send a cease and desist letter to your neighbors. This is likely similar to what you have already sent you, in that its purpose is to put him on notice that you won't tolerate his trespassing any more. However, when it comes certified mail from a lawyer on legal letterhead, he'll be more apt to read it and abide by its terms than if you send it yourself.

From there, you can see, to have him prosecuted for his trespassing on to your land. Or you could sue him in the civil courts and ask for injunctive relief.

In some states, you may also be able to just get a civil restraining order against him for the trespassing which would then, once he is served with the order, subject him to criminal charges if he fails to abide by the terms of the order. If you let me know what US state you are in, I can check to see if your state would afford you that remedy.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.