How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9411
Experience:  attorney at self
Type Your Legal Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an Iranian American Muslim, I was discermanted when I

Customer Question

I am an Iranian American Muslim, I was discermanted when I tried to open a bank account, I was asked if I was a u.s. Citizen, this was after I had taken my u.s. Passport, my social security card , my California driver licean , and my debit card from different banks, I was asked all kind of questions , I was asked what my religion was? They issued a temporary debit card, they told me to go and get a permant debit card from chase bank , when I went to get the permant debit card, they said the need my u.s. Passport
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California, I been here 41 years, it happened in salinas, ca.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not have money, can an attorney take legal action against chase bank , if they win then then I can pay them
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

My opinion is that thebusiness violated the Unruh Act, see

Civil Code § 51 is posted at

A prevailing plaintiff in an Unruh Act case is normally awarded attorney fees, see

so the answer is Yes, you should be able to find an attorney to represent you without charging a fee in advance, although the attorney may want some advance payment for filing fees and costs.

You can get a free consultation from some of the local civil rights attorneys listed here. This sounds like blatant discrimination and it sounds like you have a valid claim.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney who can go over the facts and evidence and advise you on how best to proceed.

I hope this information is helpful.