How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42880
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold some mineral rights and when I filed my taxes, my tax

Customer Question

I sold some mineral rights and when I filed my taxes, my tax preparer said they were capital gains which I paid the taxes on. Now Social Security has informed my husband and I that we are having our social security lowered by $300.00 each. What do I need to do to rectify this?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Pa.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just with my taxes last year.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Now help me understand here, you paid the taxes you owed , what has social security said about lowering your benefits.Is it that you still owe taxes and IRS has garnished your benefits?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I do not owe any taxes as I already paid them at the capital gains rate but I guess SS thinks it is regular income and wants to reduce our SS. Should we get a certain type of lawyer or see our tax preparer which was H&R Block?
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

You can call IRS here.They schedule you an appointment to resolve this.You don't necessarily need H and R Block

Plug in zip[ code here to arrange this.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

And you may also need to contact social security about reduced benefits.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.


Contact Social Security By Phone. Generally, we do not publish the phone numbers of our local offices. You can call us toll-free at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****). By calling 1-***-***-****, you can use our automated telephone services to get recorded information and conduct some business 24 hours a day.

Contact Social Security By Phone

You have the right to resolve this both with IRS and Social Security.

Sorry you are having to deal with this.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated.