How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41573
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father dies in 2008 my sister and I were both willed the

Customer Question

My father dies in 2008 my sister and I were both willed the house. We agreed to rent the house and she the rental income. But after I spend $10,000 for repairs and upgrades, she moved into the house. She never asked me if she could move in. She told me she does not have to pay me any rent because she owns half. The house is still in my fathers name. Is what she did legal?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not that I know of
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I done even know enough to know what to ask!
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

You will need a lawyer to open probate here and appoint you executor/administrator.She can be force to pay rent or be evicted by the estate.The court will order a sale and split proceeds here equally.Any legal fees and costs come out of the estate assets so she has to pay here too.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Lawyer Referral Directory

Back to map


El Paso County Bar Association LRS
Colorado Springs, CO

Phone:(###) ###-####br />Counties Served: El Paso, Teller

And you have equal access rights here too which means you can move in too if you choose.

You will need to open probate to resolve this because title is still in deceased persons name here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.