How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 40977
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in New Jersey and my wife was diagnosed with a rare

Customer Question

Hi I live in New Jersey and my wife was diagnosed with a rare brain disease called pseudotumor cerebri, also intercraniel hypertension. Anyway, even though I have good health insurance, we are getting tons of medical bills as each brain surgery is over 100k that insurance pays out, but we end up getting bills for thousands of dollars saying things such as the anesthesiologist, etc wasnt covered, and recently they put a levy on our joint checking account and sucked all the money ($500+) out of it. Can they do this to other accounts of mine if she is NOT listed on the account, or can they do something like this to my paycheck? The ridiculous part is she cannot get disability or SS so I have the only income so it is really unfair that they do this as its not like they arent getting paid. Please advise. Thank you
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

Here they are further along than you realize.They have sued and gotten judgments.And if the judgments are in both names they can levy on any accounts in your name.You are at the point you have to consider bankruptcy here.Chapter 7 if you qualify would allow you to discharge all the medical bills , judgments, etc to date.

And they can garnish your pay checks as well here in NJ. I am truly sorry I wish I could tell you otherwise.Take what cash you get here and put in a safety box and pay bills in cash or through money orders.

And please consider Chapter 7 here to allow you to discharge the debts and start over here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I wish you the best.

You can file Chapter 7 pro se here.

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

Chapter 7 is the only way to get these guys off your case since they have a judgment.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your quick reply! If the judgement is just against her though, I should be safe ......for now?
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

Yes you would, in that case put everything in your name they cannot touch it here.They cannot garnish your check for her debt.And she can file solo Chapter 7.

Thanks and the best here.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you very much I will give you 5 stars!!!!!!
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

You are so welcome.I wish you the best here.