How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is about SSI disability. My son got on ssi

Customer Question

My question is about SSI disability. My son got on ssi before I got custody. He was 10 when I got him. He's been in therapy & now no longer needs. Trying get him off ssi but he is turning 18 next month & they recertification him. I don't even think they looked @ his file. I submitted voluntwer terminate docs a 2nd time. What can I do?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can ssi go back thru his file & try & make me repay for all the years he's been on ssi?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I agreed to the fee because I thought attorneys were online now to chat. Is no one available?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 months ago.


I apologize for the delay. You ask if the Social Security Administration can determine that your son did not qualify for SSI benefits and then force you to repay the overpayments. Is this your only question? I just want to be certain I'm providing you with the answer you are seeking.

Thanks in advance for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No that is not correct. My adopted son has been on ssi since a very young age for mental disability, including adhd. I don't know all of the diagnoses. He's turning 18 & no longer disabled. I want him off. I sent ssa a volunteer termination letters along with letter from psychologist & I don't even think they looked @ his file & instead just re certified him as adult. I sent another request to terminate including note from him & therapist. How can I get him off without having pay back all the years he's been on?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you able to answer the question?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Plz advise if this is an area of knowledge for you.