How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33747
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been catfish out of $30,000 dollars I live in st. Louis

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I've been catfish out of $30,000 dollars I live in st. Louis and I want to know if I can take legal action? Thank you
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I came across this person who approached on a dating site POF. The so called online relation has been ongoing for 3 plus months. I've have all the text and email commutations and pictures of all wire transfer receipts. I also have a pitures he sent me of his passport aND Missouri drivers license that appear to be fake. He purposed he was in Egypt doing a construction job and told me when he made arrangements for the large equipment tools to be exported from the US into ciaro it didn't include custom fee to release the goods for him to get ownership and he needed the money to pay customs so he could start the job to complete the construction job in 3 months contracted time frame and begged me to help him so he could get back to Arnold, Mo so we could start our life together.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dwayne, based on the information provided can I take legal action to catch this person who catfished me, cyberbullied me and impersonated himself as someone else.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Your question was: I want to know if I can take legal action?

The answer to that is "Yes". You can contact the government agency IC3 at the following website:

That is the agency which has been set up to handle internet crime. They will make sure the report gets to the correct officers.

In addition, you can file a civil suit but, 1) realistically, it will be very hard to locate the person to sue them, 2) bringing a lawsuit against a person in another country is very difficult, expensive, and time consuming because you have to follow the treaties that we have with that country or, if there is no treaty, you have to follow the rules of the Hague Convention, and 3) it will be even harder to collect a judgment from him if you do find him, since many of the countries make it hard to collect judgments.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

In addition, many agencies won't pursue the case because they have to prove fraud and that is a difficult burden when the crook is in another country.