Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I got a DUI and did everything i was suppose to BUT i didn't

Customer Question
pay the fines. I went...
I got a DUI and did everything i was suppose to BUT i didn't pay the fines. I went to court and asked to do community labor instead and the judge granted that. However i haven't done it and the deadline has passed.. Should i go back and try to get signed up for community labor. Do you think they have issued a bench warrant for me? I m kinda afraid to go to the courthouse, but that were i would have to go to get my community service assignment.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: Im in Glendale california. I don't know for a fact that a warrent was issued. How do i find that out
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't know. I have received any information about that
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Know. I just want to take care of this. I don't have any money to pay the fines. Just don't know if i can still do the community labor
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/23/2016
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Can you share with me why this was not complete? Have you heard anything from the court?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No real good reason. Lots of frustration at the courthouse that really doesn't matter at this point. (waiting forever to talk to the clerks, getting a court date but they never called my name). Then i got a job and didn't have the time......no good excuses. Im kinda in a bad way right now.....i haven't even filed my tax return for this year! But this is all hanging over my head.I have never gotten anything from the court . I don't even know how much my fines are. They never sent me anything. Is there a way to find out online if there is a bench warrant ? Also, Im dealing with the police on another matter (my Ex violated my restraining order) and I'm worried they might look me up and take me to jail if they know this. (Maybe I'm being paranoid)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, i can't afford a phone call

I do understand. Based upon what you shared above, you likely want to file a motion with the court, asking for an extension of time. Explain the situation and that you still have hours to fulfill and that you need additional time to get them done. In the mean time, still go back and sign up and get it done, if possible, so it can show you are making a good faith effort to complete this. The last thing you want to happen is the Judge comes back and tells you you need to pay the fines, as you already had a chance at the labor and failed to do so. As long as you place the court on notice, it should prevent a warrant.

You can also look your case up online, through the clerk of courts system or call the clerk, to see if any warrant has been issues as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok Thank You

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney