Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I helped someone get a car title loan and now she has filed

Customer Question

I helped someone get a car title loan and now she has filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy. I received a letter from a trustee stating I now owe them 16,000.00. My name is ***** ***** the title. My name wasn't on the cashed check either

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Did you co-sign the loan?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I signed but I was total by the company , that utimatley it was her responsibility and that they couldn't pursue me

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Ok. Thanks.

You need to take a look at the documents you signed to see what they say. Generally, if someone co-signs a loan, he/she is agreeing to be 100% liable for the debt along with the primary debtor. If the agreement says you are a co-signer and co-debtor, then you likely have liability for the debt.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

If it turns out that you are liable for the debt, with the bankruptcy of the debtor, he/she will be relieved of the obligation. So, you'd be solely responsible to the creditor for the debt.