Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My grandfather owned this house and has died. A family memv,

Customer Question
My grandfather owned this house...
My grandfather owned this house and has died. A family memv
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California A family member has since then, bought this house. Now they are saying they will evict me. Do i have anymore time?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No nothing. Ive been here for more than 10 years and the bills are in my name
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need more time. I heard that im in a probate eviction. What is that? And do i have to get out within 7 days?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/23/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. You have been what is known as a tenant at sufferance, meaning you have lived there at the discretion of the owner (grandfather) without having to pay rent.

Now that someone else owns it, they can ask you to leave. However, under Civil Code Section 1946 et seq, the new owner must give you SIXTY DAYS NOTICE in writing to relocate. If you do not within that time, then, they can evict you.

The fact that the utilities are in your name does not change the above, I am afraid.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law