Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is shift pay considered salary in the state of california?

Customer Question
Is shift pay considered salary...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/22/2016
Lawyer: KJL LAW, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer

Good afternoon. Do you mean split-shift pay?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, the pay received for working one shift ...shift pay...for example one shift equals $160

No. Under California law an employee can be considered a salary employee if their pay is at least $33,280 per year. The pay received for working one shift is not considered a salary pay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What if their shift pay at the end of the year is equal to or greater than $33280.00 a year?

I believe that you are specifically referencing California and not the general law under the FLSA. In California to be considered an exempt salaried employee the person must make at least two times the state minimum wage for full-time employment, which is currently $41,600, not the National rate of $33,280.00. So if they are paid above that amount then they may be considered exempt from the overtime and wage/hour requirements of California law. Generally blue-collar employees are generally not exempt from FLSA labor standards. The FLSA also specifically exempts executive, administrative, and professional employees.

If you have any other questions, just ask.
Lawyer: KJL LAW, Lawyer replied 12 months ago
If you have any other questions just ask.
Lawyer: KJL LAW, Lawyer replied 11 months ago

KJL LAW
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer