Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Basically, I would like to know if there is any kind of

Customer Question
Basically, I would like...
Basically, I would like to know if there is any kind of agreement that could be drawn up to hold my boyfriend to his statement that if we move across the country and things don't work out before marriage, he will assist me financially, if need be, to move back home. He is active duty military and we plan to marry, but he wants to move first, before marriage, so we can make sure I am "cut out" for the military spouse life.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am a Florida, but w are living in Georgia (Kings Bay), he is a Louisiana resident and we would be moving to Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, this is just something I'm curious about. When I voice my concerns, he says he would have no problem helping me financially move back to Florida if I needed it. But you never know how things are going to play out in a situation until it comes around
JA: I'm trying to find the right Lawyer for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that about covers it. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/22/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It is feasible to create such an agreement. However, it would be a civil contract, enforceable in civil (non-family) court. It would have to be worded very carefully, ensuring that:

-it states "for valuable consideration," and

-that it does not have anything in it that can trigger an unconscionabily defense.

So yes, this is possible. However, it is recommended that an attorney draft such an agreement to ensure that it is held up in Court.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law