How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29979
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If iam buying a car and i made the frist. Paymeny Of $500.00

Customer Question

If iam buying a car and i made the frist. Paymeny Of $500.00 and the guy selling me the suv he wants it back so i asked him for the money back he said what money. And i told him no money no suv .then he said if you dont give me the truck and keys back he is going to report it stolen iam not giving it back unless he give me my money back and he said ok well iam calling
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: Missouri 13years old its a2003
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He said he called police and report it stolen
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: one more thing he lied about the oil problem that i got fixed
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Did the seller ever sign the title over to you? Do you have anything in writing confirming the sale? Have police contacted you yet?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Legally, the car is not stolen. If police show up, you can either show them proof of payment of the $500 or the title to establish that you purchased the car. You can also show them the texts you have from the seller that make it clear you bought it from him. He doesn't have any legal right to take the car from you. Police should tell him that it's a civil issue and that he needs to sue, if you covered yourself by making sure everything is in writing.

If police do take the car, you can sue the person who sold you the car for a refund of the $500. If you can't find a similar vehicle for what you were supposed to pay him, you can also sue for the difference between what you would have paid him and what you had to spend on a similar vehicle. And you can sue for the work put into the car, including any money spend fixing the oil issue.

In the even that police press criminal charges against you, which I hope doesn't happen, you can sue the seller for malicious prosecution after you win that case. On top of everything I mentioned above, you're also entitled to punitive damages and the cost of hiring a lawyer to beat the false charges.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.