How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26826
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was scammed out of $2099.00 for a product i brought for

Customer Question

My name is***** and i was scammed out of $2099.00 for a product i brought for $249.00 and they told me in order for me to get my refund back i had to send them $2099.00 dollars. when i stop to think about it i new something was wrong. the product that i brought was for my computer and they said they they had to recall the product. and remove the product from my computer because it was causing problems. the name of the web site is they said that they would put my refund in my checking account but never did. the phone #1-***-***-**** which i called but can not get and answer.
JA: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: Rhode Island 1/1/16
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They gave me my word that they would make sure the refund would be put in my checking account but it was not.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately, you fell for a scam. They were never a real company. That website has never been registered. This company likely doesn't even exist.

All they have to do is stop answering phones or email and they can just disappear into cyberspace.

Where does that leave you? If you paid by credit or debit card, contact your card carrier and dispute the charges. If you paid by some other method, unfortunately, it leaves you out your money unless/until law enforcement can find out who and where they really are and bring them to justice. Then you could sue the company or have your scammer prosecuted. But otherwise, apart from hiring a private detective to try to turn them up -- probably throwing good money after bad -- there is nothing you'll be able to do.

You need to report this to your police and also online to the FBI at, which is their Internet Crime Complaint Center. When you are the victim of a crime, your unreimbursed losses are tax deductible. So in the worst case scenario, if the police come up with nothing, you would be able to get something back in the form of a deduction when you filed your taxes.

But also, if you haven't done so already, you need to take precautions against identity theft. You already gave them your bank information, and you need to talk to your bank about that. If you gave them remote access to your computer, they can plant malware that logs your keystrokes and get your passwords and break into your financial accounts.

Then you would need to have a verified professional tech -- someone you actually know in the community, such as a tech person in your local computer shop -- debug it and change all of the pin numbers and passwords.

You would also want to monitor your financial accounts carefully so that you can report any unauthorized withdrawals and get your money back.

Following those precautions should keep your identity secure.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.