My boyfriend of 13 years and the Father of our 8 & 5 year…

My boyfriend of 13 years...
My boyfriend of 13 years and the Father of our 8 & 5 year was recently arrested for 3 counts of Aggravated Assault. There has never ever been any prior abuse in our 13 years. He's always been a FANTASTIC father and amazing husband. Someone next door called the police, and the police do have photos and electronic evidence, I was pretty distraught, when they arrived, I asked them not to press charges & I did NOT fill out the "voluntary statement" they ask me to fill out. Can the charges be lowered
11/22/2016
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

What many people in situations like this don't realize is that once someone is charged with a crime, the case is then between the defendant and the state. The victim in the situation will just be a witness for the prosecution when they move forward to try to prove their case.

.

The victim has no authority to "drop the charges" after the police have charged the defendant with a crime. The District Attorney files the charges against the defendant and only he can modify or drop them.

.

You can refuse to help the prosecutor and not testify, but if there is other evidence like photos, police testimony or witnesses, and physical injury, then while it will make their case a little more difficult, they can still proceed.

.

But if there were no injuries evident in any photos, then essentially if you refuse to testify the prosecutor will have to go off the police phone call and any officer and/or witness testimony about what they saw at the scene.

.

The prosecutor can try to scare you by saying they will file charges for obstruction or something similar, but if you simply remain silent and do not say anything, they can't prove anything.

.

So if you don't want to testify, you can just show up and say you are "pleading the 5th" and are asserting your right to remain silent.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There was marks on me, but he's not a violent person. Everyone has things happen in life. We are happy and have a family. We own a business and have never ever had any abuse issues. Our kids make straight A's in school, we do family camping trips, fishing and mountain rides just to see the leaves changing color, all as a family. How can the state be willing to take a father away from his children, children that adore their father and not even take into consideration what the "Victim" in the case has to say or how it affects a family as a whole to separate them rather then work to reconnect them with family counseling and/or Anger management, if theirs never been any other incidences? I live in Georgia, if that matters.

If he has no prior history of any criminal offenses, then it is possible that he might be eligible for "pretrial diversion" where he is put on probation for a period of time, does counseling and anger management classes, and completes some amount of community service and pays any fines. If he successfully completes all that, then the charges are then dismissed and do not show up on his permanent record.

.

So he would definitely want to talk to his attorney about that and see if the attorney could negotiate with the DA to reduce the charges from a felony, which is what aggravated assault is, down to a misdemeanor, and then be eligible for the diversion program. But even if not, there is still a felony pretrial diversion program that they may agree to allow him to enter. It has about the same requirements, just over a longer time, typically 5 years..

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He was arrested and spent 4 years in prison when he was 17 for theft by taking motor vehicle. He will be 38 years old in a few days, he was a teenage kid then. Will that affect his case at all? His mother has gotten him a attorney, but he still hasn't reached out to me yet.

That was so long ago that it likely wouldn't affect the judge's perception of this case since this is an entirely different type of charge. The judge can still agree to put him on probation, but pretrial diversion is typically only offered for a first time offender. So if he already has a felony on his record, if they won't reduce the charges to a misdemeanor, then his best outcome if he pleads out will likely be felony probation.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He plead first offender when that happened 20 years ago and still on probation for that, will that affect his first offender probation. He will be done with his probation sentence in a few months.Also what are the necessary steps to take to have the no contact order dropped?

If he is still on probation for that offense, then yes, this may interfere with that depending on what the terms of his probation are. If only a conviction would trigger a violation, then he can get his attorney to drag this out long enough so that the probation expires. But if just a charge triggers a violation, then it would be up to the judge as to whether or not to revoke him in full or in part.

.

You would have to file a formal request to have the no contact order dropped with the judge who entered the order and explain that whatever happened was a one time incident that has never happened before and you feel absolutely no fear of him or any threat from him. Then it is up to the judge to decide whether to drop it or not.

.

The problem with an aggravated assault charge is that it involves either some type of object used as a weapon, or something like strangulation, which bumps it up to the higher felony classification. So the judge may decide that despite your request, it is in your best interests to keep the order in place. Judges are political creatures and are always afraid of dropping a no contact order, the defendant gets out, and then goes and injures or kills the victim. Then they have to explain to the press why they dropped the order and that they were wrong. It is much easier for them to keep it in place because they don't suffer any political backlash if something happens because they can claim they did everything they could to prevent it..

.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He got Aggravated Assault because his truck hit my SUV, as he as trying to peel off and our daughter, still inside of the SUV, and our son and myself beside it. Then he back his truck into the front bumper of my SUV, but no one was in my SUV at the time.

Ok, then that might be able to be explained as an accident, not something intentional, as he was trying to leave. They typically overcharge just to give themselves some room to negotiate down to a lesser misdemeanor offense.

.

So that is kind of a good thing with regard to him getting the charges reduced..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No matter how many times I tried to explain to the officer it happened while he was peeling out, he kept saying 'so he struck your vehicle, with y'all's child inside and you and y'all's son beside' so that's how he got 3 counts of Aggravated assault, one for each of our children and one for me.

That is a real stretch for the charge then, especially if there were no injuries..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had marks on me from our dispute that happened, he pushed me and I feel on the wooden talk gate on then to the ground. I know he didn't think I'd stumble, hit his tail gate and fall down. He tried to help me up immediately, and I was just so upset that it had just happened, he has never done anything like that before, that I started loading my kids in the my SUV and I think he was more upset or angry with himself for what had just happened, that when he went to peel out he tapped the side bumper of my car. Then backed back in to try and apologize to me and the children and the ball joint on his truck made contact with my front bumper. No one was injured at all during the time at which they are using the Aggravated Assault charges.

That doesn't sound like it will stand up as aggravated assault based on those facts..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** If I have any other questions I'll definitely come to you.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

.

Have a great evening!

Thanks very much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is greatly appreciated!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's the least I could do. For the first time in 8 days I feel like I may actually be able to sleep.Sorry one more thing, after he was arrested on Sunday, Monday Family children services showed up and they are making me and my children, see their counselors, doing home walk throughs and such sense our children included in the officers Aggravated assault, report. Why if they feel that my children and I are the Victims are they trying to now investigate me? This is what is truly making my children and I feel Victimized.

That is unfortunate but they are likely trying to feel out whether there have been other unreported incidents of domestic abuse or violence that you or the children are covering up based purely on the severity of the allegations here, even if they will eventually be determined to be unfounded.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They told me today that I can ONLY take my kids to see their counselor, through their battered woman shelter, NOA. My kids didn't have one make on the at all. They are more traumatized by seeing their daddy be arrested and not being able to talk to him, then anything. He's still in jail with a no contact order, so what did I do to be investigated by DFCS?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They have already spoke to me, and both kids. When the social worker asked 'who makes you feel safe?' Both kids without any hesitation said 'Mommy & Daddy' Then the social worker said are you sure cause what daddy done yesterday was very unsafe. Then told me I had to take them to see their counselor at NOA. My kids told them, they have never seen daddy hurt mommy ever, before!

It stinks but they deal with a lot of tragic situations and they go in assuming the worst....that there is a lot of domestic violence going on, you are a "battered woman" and are covering for your boyfriend, and the children are as well..

.

So just tell the kids that this is something that you all have to do together so you can get their father able to come back home...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I told them to just be honest and polite, so this can all be nothing more then a memory and we can all be together as a family with our fishing poles in the water again, soon.Thank you, ***** ***** .

You are very welcome. Just tell them "this too shall pass"...