Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

If I request my medical records before discharge is the

Customer Question

If I request my medical records before discharge is the hospital required to provide them?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

They are required to provide you a copy at some point although they can have a reasonable amount of time to copy them and they are allowed to charge you a reasonable fee for them. It's not unusual for a medical provider to charge $1 a page for copies.

HIPAA does not in any way prevent you from getting a copy of your own records.

If anyone tells you HIPAA prevents you from getting a copy of your own records ask them to put it in writing and then file a complaint with the state licensing agency because they don't know what they are talking about.

Also, they are allowed to ask you for a signature on a release form to allow them to provide the records. It's not really required, since they're your records, but they can take the position that a release is required.

The only exception to the requirement that they allow you to get a copy of your records is if they are a provider's records as to your psychotherapy, which is different than medical records.

I can find you a page on the Dept of Health and Human Services website that addresses the HIPAA records and your right to get a copy.

http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-individuals/medical-records/

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.