How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrakeLAW Your Own Question
DrakeLAW, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 764
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC
Type Your Legal Question Here...
DrakeLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just found out there was a judgement against me in a CT.

Customer Question

I just found out there was a judgement against me in a CT. small claims court. It was filed in 2009 by a debt collector for $3000.00. Is there someone I can contact to negotiate a payment plan or is this non-negotiable.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And can you tell me what's been officially filed?
Customer: State of Ct. Apparently a small claims suite for non payment for a credit card. There is a docket number and a judgement.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not since 2010, It states judgement for the plaintiff for $3500.00 Now it's on mine credit report.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, Thanks
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you, please give me a moment to review and possibly research answers to your question.

Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 10 months ago.

You can call the lawyer that filed the judgment for any kind of negotiation and payoff discussions. Also, if you believe you were never served you can seek to have the judgment vacated and set aside. To do that, you need to get the affidavit of service filed in this case to see how they claim to have served you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It states that I was served by mail, but I don't ever recall.
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 10 months ago.

Oh good you got that already. Certified mail or regular mail?