Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I run an advertising business for models through either IG,

Customer Question

Hello!
JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I run an advertising business for models through either IG, snapchat and twitter. One of the people i was promoting quit She has now threatened my business She's hired hackers to take down my media pages She texts me constantly with threats and I have proof that she said she was hiring someone to take them down She's threatened me personally as well as my business
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Mississippi she is in California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No I wanted to get advice before moving forward The threats and extortion haven't stopped And she has had hackers take down my media
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That I have tried to avoid this situation and have informed her I am seeking legal advice Inwant to press charges
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What is your question here exactly, i.e. what do you wish to know?

Example:

1) Can I get a restraining order?

2) Can I file a police report?

3) Can I sue her?

Etc.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would like to file harassment, extortion and stalking charges. Ive never dealt with a lawyer before and wanted to best course of action.
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Okay.
IF YOU FEAR FOR YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY BUT DO NOT WISH TO MAKE IT A CRIMINAL CASE
It may be a good idea then to file for a restraining order. Mississippi generally has restraining orders for family members and romantic partners, but one can file for a restraining order in CA which has a broader definition:
www.courts.ca.gov/1260.htm
IF YOU FEAR FOR YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY AND DO WISH TO MAKE IT A CRIMINAL CASE
Then one can simply file a police complaint with the local police, where she may be charged with stalking (§ 97-3-107) and cyberstalking (§ 97-45-15). As part of a criminal charge, the Court normally puts into place a restraining order against the victim while the case is ongoing.
IF YOU WISH TO SUE IN COURT
To sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state because they all stem from the same common law. A pleading in Court needs at least one cause of action, although it is not unusual to have more than one.
Someone in your situation can possibly sue for:
INTENTIONAL INFLICTION OF EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, and DEFAMATION (as it relates to the business).
This would require an actual lawsuit, so it may be a little more nuanced and prolonged.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!