How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28005
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother was arrested and givin a life sentence. A

Customer Question

My brother was arrested and givin a life sentence. A national tv show did a special on the case and showed my pictures multiple names as well as mentioning my name. I have no connection to the case and was never a suspect. I'm furious because I feel like this can potentially effect my public reputation. Is this legal? I feel like this is deprivation of character.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. Just to be clear, you mean defamation of character?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do mean defamation of character
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. Defamation is a cause of action for written or spoken communications that cause a person to suffer damage to their reputation, or have a tendency to cause such damage. A plaintiff must prove that a defamatory statement was made, that the statement was published to a third party, that the person publishing the statement was negligent as to its truth or knew that the statement was false, and damages resulting from the defamatory statement. As such, it is important to keep in mind that the truth is always a defense. If they mentioned you and what was disclosed was true, it would be hard to sue them and recover, as a result of this being related to your brother and the show mentioning you. If they said things about you that were not true and false, then you would have a legal basis to sue them. The truth of a statement is a complete defense to a claim of defamation. There will be no liability under a defamation cause of action if the allegedly defamatory statements are demonstrated to be true. In addition, you would need to show damages. I know you shared above that this could potentially effect your public reputation but it would need to be shown that it did

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well I work as a barber and I'm sure it's going to have a negative impact on my business. It's not as much what it said, but what it was implying.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.

I certainly understand that you do not want the negative light reflected on you. You can try and go after them and sue but as I shared, the truth, is a defense, so it would all depend on how they presented you in the show and if they did something, to place you in the light as someone involved with the crime.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what would that crime be called, or what would be the best way to approach this?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Saying they did cast my in a light that could be misinterpreted
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.

There is no crime here, as the issue is civil, not criminal. At this point, you can send a demand letter and cease and desist letter, advising of the defamatory nature of the show and how it places you in bad/false light and it is damaging your reputation because it is not true and ask that they edit you out of it and no longer show it. Moreover, if you have known damages, you can make a monetary demand for those as well and see if they are willing to settle, assuming they recognize they messed up and you have a valid cause of action. If they refuse, then you have to file a lawsuit.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How should I go about finding a lawyer who will look into my case? I'm having trouble finding someone
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.

The Colorado Bar has a search engine which you can use to find an attorney in your area, who you can speak with who can evaluate the cause of action which you may have. Here is a link to use for them.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.