legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

Just had the police tell me my birth certificate that only

Customer Question

Just had the police tell me my birth certificate that only lists myself as parent has no legal weight. Which means my daughters father just took her. I thought as long as I was the only parent listed I did not need court papers
Expert:  legalgems replied 8 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

What state is this in regards to?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hawaii

I am sorry to hear this; the police are incorrect- an alleged father has no legal rights unless there is a signed acknowledgement of paternity, or there is a court order to that effect.

http://health.hawaii.gov/vitalrecords/files/2013/04/vepbrochure.pdf

The statute is here and can be printed out

You can contact the police department and ask to speak to a supervisor, explain the situation and then provide a copy of the statute (or cite the code) and request police assistance in retrieving the child.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!