How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9908
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just had the police tell me my birth certificate that only

Customer Question

Just had the police tell me my birth certificate that only lists myself as parent has no legal weight. Which means my daughters father just took her. I thought as long as I was the only parent listed I did not need court papers
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 8 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 8 months ago.

What state is this in regards to?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  legalgems replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this; the police are incorrect- an alleged father has no legal rights unless there is a signed acknowledgement of paternity, or there is a court order to that effect.

The statute is here and can be printed out

You can contact the police department and ask to speak to a supervisor, explain the situation and then provide a copy of the statute (or cite the code) and request police assistance in retrieving the child.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 8 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.