How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27594
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband had me sign a prenuptial agree prior to getting

Customer Question

My husband had me sign a prenuptial agree prior to getting married it I was never given a copy nor was it read to me.
My husband also did not disclose any of his financial information and I've learned there is a sizable account he's been hiding from me for the 7 years we've been together
I moved to Michigan w him on the promise of it being for one year only so he could get his degree. After the first year he said we were staying to save money to buy a home in California, 8 months ago he began building his dream home here in Michigan.
Is there a way to void my prenup w out getting divorced?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.

Good morning. The prenup comes into effect upon divorce. If you never divorce, then there is no need for it since the purpose is to protect each spouse's financial interests. In this case, you would have grounds to contest it, based upon what you shared, if you were never given a chance to review it or retain counsel to look over it. Moreover, if he never disclosed this account, he would have done something which could trigger it being invalid, so it does appear you have defenses to raise and a basis to contest it. As far as doing it now without getting divorce, you can try but I am inclined to believe it would cause issues within the marriage. He could always agree to void it as well, if you confront him on this, without having to litigate it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was just curious and thinking more along the lines of a written statement saying I have voided my signiture.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.
It would be something that has to be decided by the court based upon the evidence presented. You could not at this time simply do it
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 8 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!