How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 88 yr old widow who rents an apartment. My problem is

Customer Question

I am a 88 yr old widow who rents an apartment. My problem is that four college kids have rented the apartment above me. They have been excessive in their noise making.(Drilling, hammering and dropping things ) enough to shake the building causing a picture to fall from the wall. They keep this up until two and three in the morning. The management has sent them notices which they ignore. They have now taken over my parking spot that I pay rent for. True, I dont use it all the time as I dont own a car. But my daughter parks there to take me grocery shopping, doctor appts etc. Dial a bus also picks me up there as well so I dont have to go out into the street to get in the vehicle
Management does nothing about it. They send notices but again the notices are ignored and the continue to use my parking space as well as making as much noise as possible
It sounds like they build furniture or something and are rolling or moving the furniture across the floors. I have no idea what they are actually doing up there. Do I have any kind of recourse?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, you do have rights. You have a legal right to quiet enjoyment and the use of your rental property. If it is being disturbed and the landlord does not take any action to remedy it, after the letters are sent to them, you could have a right to vacate the rental and sue them for damages. If you are forced to leave as a result of the noise and issue with parking and they refuse to fix it, this could be viewed as you being forced from your rental. They have a duty to prevent this and they should be evicting those people for breaching the lease agreement. If they do not and you end up moving you can sue them for costs/damages.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!