How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16623
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was working in a house that was being renovated that had

Customer Question

I was working in a house that was being renovated that had no protection around an open stairwell to the basement. I stepped backwards while rolling in a piece of equipment and fell approximately eight feet down landing on my back on the bottom stairs. I broke my spinal process in two places. Do I have a claim?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arkansas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I was treated medically but nothing formal filed as yet. It happened two weeks ago today. I am mostly concerned if my back doesn't heal properly.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The homeowner was on site and I was working independently for him on his chimneys and wood stoves
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

When did the injury happen?
Are you a licensed contractor?

Was an ambulance called or was this accident documented?

Please provide me with more details.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Two weeks ago today.
I work independently as a laborer not licensed and was not asked for a certificate of liability. A friend drove me to the hospital because I could not sit and had to lay down
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Im not looking for a lot of money. I mostly am concerned that I can continue working in the future that my back heals properly and lost wages for six weeks is somewhat of an issue for me
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, someone who is injured in another person's house, can in fact have a claim for such personal injury and the claim in some cases can be pursued against the other person's homeowner's insurance and/or the owner of the house personally.

It is important for you to schedule a consultation with your local personal injury attorney, who can fully evaluate your situation to see if there is a valid legal claim for injuries that can be pursued in your case.

You can find an experienced and skilled local personal injury law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to personal injury law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter might be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 8 months ago.