How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118237
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was on the El Paso Police Department 1960-1971. I

Customer Question

I was on the El Paso Police Department 1960-1971. I graduated from college, UTEP, in 1971 and and obtained my Masters in 1975. I went into the teaching/coaching field for 29 years and retired at age 65 from The El Paso Independent School District in the year 2000. I was down with serious cancer at the time. My question is this: I contributed eleven years to my police pension fund. When I inquired about getting my pension contributions returned to me I was informed that I lost the money because a police officer wasn't vested until he had 20 years of service. Yikes, they kept my money. Any recourse for me at this late stage?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you were not vested, then all you were entitled to would be the actual contributions you made to the plan, not the employer's share of contributions. This would be in accordance with the terms of your plan description. If you left in 1971, when you left if you were not vested you should have been paid out your personal contributions to the plan. However, this will require a local ERISA (pension law) attorney to actually get your old plan description and your employment records to track at least what happened to your share of your contributions if you were not vested in the plan at the time you left.