How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 40993
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 72 hears old do I have to serve on a jury if I choose

Customer Question

I am 72 hears old do I have to serve on a jury if I choose not too
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: m
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that it stresses me out to have to serve as a juror because of all the difficulties I have had to deal with concerning family and business problems in the past and I am 72 years old now and want court rooms to be over in my life
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Yes you just need to submit the disqualification , you are over 70 and can do this for any reason.

he ten reasons for disqualification are:

  • You are not a citizen of the United States.
  • You are not a Massachusetts resident or inhabitant (person who lives in Massachusetts more than 50% of the year, such as a college student).
  • You are under eighteen years of age.
  • You are over seventy years of age, and you choose not to serve. (This is the only disqualification that is discretionary with the juror. PLEASE NOTE that if you choose to be disqualified after turning 70, you will be permanently removed from the jury list.)
  • You are not able to speak and understand the English language.
  • You are incapable, by reason of physical or mental disability, of performing jury service. You must provide a doctor’s letter stating the doctor’s opinion that you cannot serve.
  • You are solely responsible for the care of a permanently disabled person living in the same household, and your jury service would cause substantial risk of injury to that person. You must provide a doctor’s letter stating the doctor’s opinion that you cannot serve for this reason. PLEASE NOTE that if you work outside the home, you are not eligible for this disqualification.
  • You are currently living outside the judicial district to which you were summoned, and do not intend to return to that district at any time in the next twelve months.
  • You have been convicted of a felony in the last seven years, or you are currently charged with a felony, or you are currently in custody at a correctional institution.
  • You have served as a grand or trial juror in state or federal court in the last three years, or you are currently scheduled to serve.
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

On your back of summons check the over 70 and choose not to serve and send it back.

It looks like this

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.This will not be a problem.