Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I believe I am being cyberstalked and bullied by a former

Customer Question
Hi, I believe I am...
Hi, I believe I am being cyberstalked and bullied by a former client. I run a web design business, and a former client's actions caused my web server to be hacked His actions were in direct conflict with 2 federal warnings against such behavior, one from the FBI and another from the Dept. of Homeland Security. I had asked him to move his web site off my server, gave him a month to do so, and he told me instead to take it down. Then he sent me several threatening emails, wanting his money back, threatened to report my company to the Better Business Bureau and the State Attorney General's office and launched a smear campaign on social media against me and my company, and posted several disingenuous comments about me and caused an uproar, and several of his friends posted on my Facebook page that I was crazy or suffering mental issues. He has two Facebook pages, and each has over 4,000 likes, and one is a Facebook for Business. Additionally, he pretended to be someone else and posted a threatening comment on my web site email, I traced the IP address back to his internet service provider. I am disabled, and am considering filing charges agains him and his friend for a civil rights hate crime against me. Part of the issue is this person, and his friend, who is also involved in this is a former sheriff and his friend is a former state trooper. I as well am a former law enforcement officer, but this matter has gotten so contentious there are several other issues involved. The state trooper plagiarized some articles I had written and published them in his latest book, and they both used the graphics and copyrighted content I developed for websites to generate new websites with another web developer. I contacted them via email and told them to cease and desist using my graphics and their new web developer took down my original graphics and used portions of my original designs to create new graphics and is also still using portions of the original websites I designed. I am concerned about the ongoing harassment via social media and they seem to feel they can bully me with impunity because of their law enforcement standing. I lost a month's worth of work from having to secure my server, notify all my clients of the server breach, and continue to face ongoing harassment and theft of my graphic designs, web content and writing. I realize there are several issues involved in this matter. I would appreciate it if you would NOT print this request online at this time, as I plan to seek either criminal or legal charges, but I wanted to get more information about the laws regarding cyberstalking and harassment. I live in Georgia and the two clients harassing me are in Maine. Thanks for your help!
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: Not at this time.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I made them both aware that I would contact an attorney, I contacted Farah and Farah in Florida (licensed in Georgia) and they said they dealt primarily in civil tort actions and referred me to pro bono legal services in Georgia.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am basically trying to determine my rights in this matter and I want the harassment to stop, and am trying to find a way to make them stop copying and using my copyrighted material. Any info is appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/19/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Since this person is in Maine, you would have to file the cyberstalking and electronic harassment claims against him in Maine, both civil and criminal. He is liable to you for all damages he has caused you, including copyright infringement, harassment, stalking, infliction of emotional distress and loss of income from his posts. You can also, as part of your civil suit obtain a restraining order that can force him to remove all posts.
So, at this point if he is in Maine, to obtain personal jurisdiction over him, you would need an attorney in Maine where he is located to file your civil suit there and you would, if there are copyright violations involved, file in the federal court in Maine, which under personal jurisdiction rules is the state where the defendant resides.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney