Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

An ex boyfriend created false social media accounts with my

Customer Question
Name and picture and posted...
An ex boyfriend created false social media accounts with my Name and picture and posted inappropriate pictures and comments about my boss then invited people from my workplace to connect on LinkedIn and be friends on Facebook. Also posted inappropriate comments on my company's Facebook page as though he was me. I was told by several including an attorney at work that I should sue LinkedIn and the individual for defamation of character and libel. How do I find a good attorney for this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/19/2016
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

First and foremost, you cannot sue the sites where the information was posted because the sites did not know that someone was impersonating you. Your issue is with your ex-boyfriend.

You can file a Police Report against him for this fraudulent act and also file lawsuit for libel/defamation of character.

In order to prevail in a defamation suit, you must be able to prove all of the elements of defamation. Generally, you must be able to prove (1) that a defamatory (false and libelous) statement was made against you; (2) that there was a unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (posting false information on social media); (3) if the defamatory statement is a matter of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher—this may not apply to you if you are not a public figure; (4) then finally you have to prove that you suffered damages as a result of the defamation.

You would need to consult with a Civil Rights Attorney in your area to assist you in putting your claim together as these cases can be very difficult to win. Interview at least three Attorneys and/or review their web sites to see which one will be a better match for you. You want to look for someone who is not too busy to handle your case; someone who will return your phone calls in a timely manner, and someone who will give you prompt updates on your case.

Click here to find local Attorneys in your area who handle defamation cases:

Civil Rights Lawyers

Justia.com

findlaw.com

Goodluck with your case,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law