How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28363
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been with him for 22 years we lived in calif. untill

Customer Question

i have been with him for 22 years we lived in calif. untill 2 years ago what do i have to have tso it is consierd common law marridge
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: oregon
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: like what ?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we have allways been on all rental agreements his last name apears on my drivers licens i have paper noterized we agree we are husband and wife
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

A common law “marriage” is not created in Oregon. However, if a couple is from a state that acknowledges common law marriages, and the couple meets the requirements of common law marriage of that state, then the state of Oregon will recognize the marriage of that state as valid in Oregon. However, CA does not have common law marriage there either but they do recognize it from another State, so even though you lived there previously, it would not give rise to a common law marriage since that State does not recognize them. Now, if you have things in writing with him, you can use that as a contractual relationship and if there is a breach, go after and sue him for that.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!