How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerDavid Your Own Question
LawyerDavid, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 373
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawyerDavid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in probate against my brother for 4 years now,he

Customer Question

I have been in probate against my brother for 4 years now,he has not cooperated in any way.i had a lawyer for 4 years my brother has been throw two lawyer and on his third,my lawyer sent my brothers lawyer a proposal we waited 30 days with no answer. I found out that my lawyer was over charging me and over billing me.he refused to continue to go to a court hearing that my brothers lawyer started,hearing date on dec.19th 2016,iI fired my lawyer for stealing my money.he told me he doesn't care and wants more retainer money,i asked him to deduct it for the money from over charging me ,he said no he wants $5000. more retainer money.then I fired brothers lawyer found out that I fired my lawyer and have no more money left.he got in touch with the propate courts in Miami,fla. and a hearing has been set for dec.19th 2016.what can I do I have no more money left I have spent 25,000 with the lawyer I fired what is my next my brother is in contempt of court the first time my attourney went to court ,the second time my lawyer accomplished nothing and he charged me over 10,000 one day at court for penilitys against my brother. thanks jeff goodfriend
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: florida miami
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: my brother lawyer filed for a hearing on dec,19,2016
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I went down to the court house in Miami,fla to fine out what will happen in this first hearing I was scedualed to have surgery in new York on dec.20 th 2016 I sent the judge a letter and a doctors letter to get a postpone ment for 4 months to find a new attorney .ii was denided this ,can I get legal aid lawyer to represt me im in new York at this time and I will be back in Miami,fla.on dec. 1 st what can I do jeff
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: im not sure if this has been done?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawyerDavid replied 9 months ago.

Jeff: I am really sorry about the issues you have been having. The bot***** *****ne on this is you need to appear at the hearing and file your own court papers in the case on your own, or retain an attorney. You stated this is a probate case. Is this correct, someone died in your family and you and your brother are fighting over the estate? If so, there is not going to be legal aid available for you although you might consider calling the Florida Bar Association to ask if they have a pro bono program to assist people in situations like this. Many states have these programs that allow young lawyers to get training in court a and gives people a lawyer to protect them in difficult cases. In short, please make sure you do not miss a deadline in the case or miss a hearing, if you do my guess is your brother and his lawyer will work to make this as difficult as possible until you give in to whatever it is they want. Again, really sorry for your situation. Please post with any follow up. I will also offer you a call so we can talk through the situation in more detail if you think that might help. All the best, David

Related Legal Questions