How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116711
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently took out involuntary commitment papers on my 14

Customer Question

I recently took out involuntary commitment papers on my 14 yr old. The police did not handle the situation as I was told they would. I was arrested for assault on a government official for trying to pull an officer off my sons back. My concern is the police posted their account on their Facebook page which included my street name, my sons age, and the fact that he was taken to the hospital and committed. All of my neighboor saw this and now my sons medical information is on facebook. Can the police legally post that?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Nc on oct 26
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet. I dont have an atth And im scared of the police
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not pertaining to the privacy issue
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It can be deemed an invasion of privacy to post information regarding mental health conditions of anyone and more so of juveniles and at this point you need to first contact the chief of the police department and get his name and information deleted. In addition, for posting the information you would need to engage a local attorney to represent you to seek to file this in court. The issue is that the NC statutes all talk about the "facilities" and none mention law enforcement releasing information on calls they go out on, so you are going to have to make the case that while your arrest is indeed public record and could be posted, your son's mental health information was not public information and invaded his privacy and seek to get this into the courts and seek damages for your son.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.