How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116799
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is *********** and I'm trying to get my money back

Customer Question

Hi, my name is *********** and I'm trying to get my money back for buying a salvage car. I bought the car from an auto body shop and they said when I looked at the car that they could fix it and make it drivable, but it wasn't. It took them two months before I was able to get the title. I even took it back to them to let them see that it was not drivable so if you could I would like to sue them to be able to get my money back. They sold me the car for 3500 dollars and I was only able to drive the car for one day and it stopped working. My grandpa had did everything he could to get the car fix, but the man from the transmission shop said that the transmission was no good. So, Can you help me? JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? Customer: Baton Rouge, Louisiana JA: Has anything been filed or reported? Customer: No, not yet. JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: I have all the receipts from when I bought the car to the parts that I had to get fix to get put back on the car.

Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If they promised to make it drivable when you purchased it and they cannot do so, then legally you could sue them for breach of the implied warranty of merchantability as well as breach of contract for misrepresentation of the quality of the car. As they are a body shop they are experts in this matter and are liable for telling you it could be fixed and you relying on those representations in you making a purchase from them.

Thus, if they refuse to reimburse you the money you paid for the car, you would have to sue them for return of your money for breach of contract and the implied warranty of merchantability.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Related Legal Questions