How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41036
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the caretaker of my 96 year old partially blind Mom. My

Customer Question

Good morning, I am the caretaker of my 96 year old partially blind Mom. My sister has power of attorney. I have been caring for my Mom for more then 10 years and the care has become daunting. Respite is a day or 2 a month when my sister can find time to come down. Recently the furnace went out. I got estimates for its replacement and forwarded them to my sister and she lamented as to the costs. What is my legal standing as caretaker? Thank you
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: California. paperwork filed?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: As too?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I dont think there is anything ? else
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

I think you should have mother complete a new POA here and take over as POA. You should not be expected to care for her without funds to do so.You have legal standing here if mother has capacity for a new POA. If you have too then a conservatorship/guadianship would be the legal option.This makes no sense for the other party to manage her money when you need financial help.These are your options a new POA or go to the courts for conservatorship/guardianship here in California.

You should also be paid as caregiver if there are funds here.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

POA forms above.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Conservatorship forms to award

you legal conservatorship

You can file for conservatorship here to get the sister out

of the picture.

I appreciate the chance to help.I wish you the best with your mother and the sister too.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.