Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

It has to do with my puppy..... Last Wednesday he went in to

Customer Question

It has to do with my puppy..... JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Customer: Last Wednesday he went in to be neutered & micro chipped......on Saturday he started acting strange & we had to take him to the emergency animal hospital. Long story short....he was bleeding internally because the local Vet who did the surgery did not tie two sutures around two arteries. Michigan... The bills thus far are approx. 6,000.....+.... JA: Has anything been filed or reported? Customer: no JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: we did go & talk to the local vet..who pretty much is saying its not his responsibility but will talk to his insurance company... I have all the documentation from the animal hospital..indicating the issue. Plus the local vet after the neutering surgery released Chester at 11:15 AM when we dropped him off at 8:30....originally we were told he would not be ready until 3:00 PM due to recovery.....

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm very sorry to hear that this happened.

It is the vet's responsibility. When you pay someone to do a job, they have an obligation to do it correctly. Your vet made a mistake, and that means he's responsible for reimbursing you what you spent to get that mistake fixed. If he will not cover your bills, you can sue for malpractice.

The Small Claims Court limit in Michigan is only $5,500, and your damages are more than that. But you can file in the District Court for the total money you lost because he did not exercise due care in caring for your dog.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I should file a claim myself and it is not recommended to hire a lawyer?

The problem is, a lawyer could cost half of what you're asking for, if not more. The law doesn't let you charge the other party for your legal fees.

If you were willing to accept $5,500 in final settlement, Small Claims Court is easier and more user-friendly than the district court. There's no need for a lawyer in Small Claims.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How much longer? I have a business call shortly......
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How much longer for the phone call ? Please call ASAP
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you still there??

I'm sorry, there have been system issues all morning, and I got locked out of replying to your question. Something went wrong with your phone call request. If you can send it through again, I'm happy to call you when I get it.