How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41025
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question. My sister in law dropped of my niece an

Customer Question

I have a question. My sister in law dropped of my niece an nephew with my parents an I so she could go out an she hasn't returned. I have had very little contact with her an I'm not sure if she is coming back I want to know what can I do to get custody or guardianship of the kids my brother is incarcerated also so what do I do if I need to take the kids to the doctor I am a single mother already of 4 kids
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in kansas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I filed a missing persons report when she first left
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

You will need a local Kansas lawyer to file suit for legal custody.The court may well grant you legal custody as the best choice. I don't see any other options if mom and dad are out o f the picture here.

You could involve Childrens Services but they might put them in foster care for awhile and you would have to deal with the bureaucracy.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Lawyer for you here

Lawyer Referral Directory

Back to map


Kansas Bar Association LRS
Wichita, KS

Phone:(###) ###-####br />Toll free:(###) ###-####br />Counties Served: Statewide

Meets ABA Standards for Lawyer Referral

Wichita Bar Association LRS
Wichita, KS

Phone:(###) ###-####x103 or(###) ###-####br />Counties Served: Statewide

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The only problem is I don't have the money to hire a lawyer is there any other way to do it without costing a lot of money
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Law for reference

You can contact childrens services here, tell them you are interested in placement, they can provide legal services to you.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Kansas Protection Report Center

I appreciate the chance to help, give them a call here and see if they can provide the legal custody filing on your behalf.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Legal aid is another possibility for you here