My 45 year old nephew was just served with a temporary

My 45 year old...

My 45 year old nephew was just served with a temporary domestic violence injunction against stalking. His ex gilrlfriend posted a pic of her puss and boobs on Craigslist. No face of course. He sent said pic to her ex husband and some friends. She is also selling herself. He sent that info around by text. Is that stalking?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because criminal law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Apparently to law enforcement. She said in papers they told her to go this route.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is claiming to live in the same trailer park as him which makes him homeless because it is less than 500 feet. How do we prove she does not live there?

11/16/2016
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law

Good evening. Where there's no pattern of harassment, following, threatening or tracking, there's no stalking. I understand the alarm of receiving a temporary domestic violence injunction, but it's less alarming when you understand the legal mechanics of it. It doesn't take much to get a Temporary Domestic Violence Injunction -- the court takes a "shoot first, ask questions later" approach because someone has alleged a danger that is so imminent that the normal delay of due process would result in harm. To get the temporary order, protected party doesn't have to prove anything--she only needs to make allegations that, IF true, would justify an injunction. The purpose of the temporary order is to keep the parties safe and maintain the status quo until they can get to court and have a chance to be heard. Once in court, two important things happen: (1) the enjoined party has a right to present their side of the case, and (2) the protected party has the burden of proving that the injunction is necessary. Theoretically, the enjoined party could go to the hearing, do nothing, and the protected party could still lose if she doesn't prove her case.

​So, as unpleasant and unnerving as this is, it doesn't mean anything just yet. Your nephew is not presumed guilty and no wrongdoing has been proven. He just needs to go to court for his hearing, and it will be up to her to prove that the allegations are true.

​As for proving how she doesn't live in the trailer park, you would prove it just like you would prove anything else in life -- photos, witnesses, documents... most anything that tends to prove what you're claiming can be used. How might you prove that you went to a grocery store? You might have a sales receipt, people may have seen you at the store, and (of course) you might have a cabinet full of groceries.

​Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please feel free to leave a rating once you are finished (it does not cost anything extra to do so, and it is the only way I may be credited for my answers.) Thank you!

Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law