Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

If a friend let you use there social security to build

Customer Question

if a friend let you use there social security to build credit for them and later decided to say he wasn't aware of anything is that fraud? there is proof he was aware of what was going on.
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ca
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not sure as of yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This depends on what you mean. How exactly did this work? What do you mean "let you use their social security to build credit?"

For example, did he take out a credit card, and then added you as an authorized user so that timely payments would reflect on your credit as well?

Or - something else?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
Hello! I plan to log off soon and am just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!