Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I sold a car on October 6 in Union City, California.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I sold a car on October 6 in Union City, California. Yesterday I received a parking citation from possibly the new owners address. The thing is it was my first time selling a car so I failed to obtain a release of liability and bill of sale form. I tried contacting the buyer(Tristan) multiple times but no luck I received another call from an unknown number saying if I dont stop calling "Im going to get my homeboys come looking for you" and even asked if the number I called was Tristan's number(buyer) and said "yes" in the beginning. The car was coincidentally parked in front of my classmates house from this semester and only saw the owner one time and the car has been sitting for there for almost a month. What can I do to avoid getting more citations or even just have the vehicle released under my ability with no contact with the buyer?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No mam I tried contacting police and said if they can check the vehicle for suspicious reason but they said they cant do that then they told me to handle it with DMV, but DMV says I need there information which I have no luck on.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did you file a Release with the DMV after you sold the car?

Doug