Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I recently had a case from an accident and the lawyer took

Customer Question

I recently had a case from an accident and the lawyer took his percentagethe percentage
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Oops TX they took % 18,000.00 should have been 20,022.00 4240.44 for additional expensest!know r
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Total was 50,055.00- attorney fees 18,000.00 leaving 32,055.00 medical expenses were46,581.76 but he added med bills that were not paid and that were not accepted by ins sued we're
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How can I get the paperwork looked at
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The attorney can only charge you based on what your fee agreement with them provides for. The attorney's fee is a percentage of the settlement/judgment PLUS costs and expenses. The fee is supposed to be taken after all of the medical expenses are paid. The attorney is supposed to pay all unpaid medical expenses, even if they were not accepted by the insurance and if you dispute those bills you have to sue the provider to recover that money.
One thing that is frequently an issue with personal injury clients is that they are expecting a much higher percentage of the settlement, but they neglect to consider that all expenses are on top of the fee and also your attorney needs to pay off all medical expenses not paid off by insurance.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.