Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I want to consider setting up a collaborative of automobile

Customer Question

I want to consider setting up a collaborative of automobile service stations to offer a fixed price of oil changes to cab drivers using my brand of private label motor oil. Would this be illegal to do?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: NYS
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no....I am trying fist to make sure it doesn't violate laws governing fair competition.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no....it is a simple concept. I want to create a quality network of vetted service stations to service the taxi cab industry at fair and competitive prices so the taxi drivers are protected.
Expert:  Legalease replied 10 months ago.

Hello there --

-

If you set up a private business using your own products, you are within your legal rights to use your own products and require that anyone using your services take your products and pay you for them. There is no problems with illegal competition regarding such a business and service. There are plenty of businesses that do this all the time (Jiffy Lube requires that you use the products that they sell to you and they are not legally required to use any other products).

-

Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so I will receive credit for my time assisting you today. I receive no credit unless you press a positive rating above. THANK YOU

-

MARY