How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1349
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Legal Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been unavailable to get served with a restraining

Customer Question

I have been unavailable to get served with a restraining order. The judge has re-issued it for another 14 days. I have been out of town for work. If I don't get served can the judge make it permanent anyway. I am in Washington state
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back in a few minutes – I’d like to review your question for a minute and then I’ll be right back.

Do you expect to be back in the area within the next two weeks?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dont think so
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 8 months ago.

Okay thank you for that.

Under Wash. law, the court does have that right to extend the temporary order while giving the other party more chances to serve you. If they can't serve you after a few attempts, under Wash law, the judge may allow service by mail or by the old method (which never works) of publication in a newspaper. If you were served by any of these methods and do not show up, the hearing can proceed without you. So the answer is yes, you have the issue here that a temporary order can become a permanent one if they're unable to serve you. If you find out about the date then I would advise that you show up because they can proceed in your absence and convert the order from temporary to permanent.

You may want to get an attorney for this unless you already have one.

If you need an attorney, let me know if this is family-related or other type of law so I can find attorneys for you in your area -- would need to know large city near your residence.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any more questions as I am happy to answer them, and let me know if you need a lawyer – I’ll be happy to find some lawyers for you.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars) and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find a lawyer. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated. Thanks so much!

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

Thanks for letting me help you tonight!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 8 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks and thank you for allowing me to help you. Please let me know if you need more information.