Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Thank you for your message. I'm researching the possibility

Customer Question
Hello, and thank you for...
Hello, and thank you for your message. I'm researching the possibility of dual Israeli-US citizenship. I am Jewish on my father's side so I am aware that the process of aliyah is a bit more complicated for me.
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the lawyer to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him or her to know?
Customer: If I gained dual citizenship, would there be requirements for how much time I need to spend in either country? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/15/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In general, a person who goes to Israel on an Oleh (immigrant) visa or changes to the status of Oleh while in Israel automatically acquires Israeli citizenship within 3 months. The U.S. State Department does not regard automatic acquisition of Israeli citizenship (Par. 2 or the Nationality Law of Israel) as an expatriatory act so the issue of intent does not even arise. However, if someone acquires Israeli citizenship by naturalization, his application (Par. 5 of the Nationality Law) can be regarded as a potential expatriating act, BUT the form does not ask if you are intending to give up your prior citizenship and because of that the US State Department can generally never prove any intent and allows one to keep dual citizenship.
Once the citizenship is granted in Israel, you DO NOT have to spend any fixed time in either country. Your citizenship is for life and does not get taken away based on time spent in the country.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, and thank you for your reply.You said, "a person who goes to Israel on an Oleh (immigrant) visa or changes to the status of Oleh while in Israel automatically acquires Israeli citizenship within 3 months." What is required to go to Israel on an Oleh visa or change the status to Oleh while there? What are the steps to going on an Oleh visa versus arriving on a standard tourist visa?Also, when such automatic citizenship is acquired via the Oleh visa, are there further steps to take regarding obtaining a passport and other documents?Lastly, can you please let me know how long it would take to acquire citizenship via naturalization versus automatic citizenship?
Thank you.
Thank you for your reply.
Under Israeli law any Jew who expresses desire to come to Israel to live there is entitled to an Oleh and you apply through immigration in Israel. Once you attain the citizenship being there for 3 months, then you return to immigration and would apply for your passport and citizenship documents.
Here is the information on Israeli citizenship: http://www.aaci.org.il/articlenav.php?id=14
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney