Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a work related issue, New york, not yet, I want to

Customer Question
Good afternoon I have a...
Good afternoon I have a work related issue
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New york
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know how to stop my boss from bullying me because I refused to be involve in his personal matters
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/14/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please clarify:

1) What does your boss want or demand?

2) How is he bullying you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. Thank you for answering.
My job who's a married man is currently dating my friend who also work for the company. Since March 2016 he has been asking me to convinve my friend to stay with him and has been trying to make me manipulate my friend. I have hundreds of text messages and voice recording of him doing so. At first I thought I could just act as if I am doing all he ask so I can keep my job,but his demands started to cros the line. He even asked me to make a copy of my friend's key so he can get in her apartment. So I told him point blank that I did not want to be involve in this situation anymore. Ever since,he has been having people makeup stuff about me at work as if I am not doing my job so he can fire. There has never been no complain about me or any write up before I told him to leave me out of his personal life
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I meant my mboss is a married man.
Thank you. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.
There is no law against workplace BULLYING. An employer can be as mean as they want to. So there is no way to force the employer to stop bringing you into this.
An employer simply cannot do something because of one of the following:
PUBLIC POLICY (discrimination based on race, religion, creed, etc; or, a retaliatory termination due to a claim made by an employee); or
-CONTRACT POLICY (if one has a contract that disallows such a termination)
-COVENANT OF GOOD FAITH (firing an employee to avoid paying a benefit, for example)
Otherwise, he can continue to be mean to you, arguably. The only thing that someone in your situation can do is - if you quit - to argue that this constituted workplace harassment.
Workplace harassment for purposes of civil litigation means sexual harassment. This is not what I am talking about, however. Workplace harassment for purposes of unemployment means that you quit because you could reasonably not be expected to continue to work in such a hostile environment.
Although unemployment typically is not granted to people who QUIT, workplace harassment is an exception, allowing one to get unemployment if if one quits herself.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law