How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I jointly own a vehicle that was bought in state. When I

Customer Question

I jointly own a vehicle that was bought in Washington state. When I broke up with the other person, he kept the vehicle and agreed to make the payments, which he did for over 2 years. Then this summer starting in July he quit making payments. I have since moved to Texas and he, I think, now lives in California. I don't know where the vehicle is or how to get in touch with him. I have asked the bank to repossess the vehicle, but they are sallow to do that. My credit is getting dragged through the mud. What can I do? And what state do I find help in? I put a lot of money down on the vehicle ($15000 and the first year of payments) and do not want him to get more money. I have paid more down on the vehicle than he has. Help?
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: The issue began in Washington state, but now we both live in other states. I am in Texas and he is California. We broke up in March 2014, but he continued to pay until July 2016.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Only the bank is sending me letters threatening to repossess, but then don't. I have them asked to do it, but they say they need time. I don't know where the vehicle is.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want this resolved as quickly as possible.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the repossession will still go against your credit and will cause you harm. I am afraid that the only way to resolve this is you need an attorney to sue him in the state where he now resides for reimbursement of all money that is due on the car or for the return of the car to you. You are going to have to sue him I am afraid because you cannot force the bank to repossess and whether they repossess or not you will still have negative remarks on your credit report and suing the other person would be the only way to fix that and get reimbursed for the damage he has caused your credit to suffer.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.