Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Our neighbor changed the fence we shared. I agreed to pay

Customer Question
the half of it. She...
Our neighbor changed the fence we shared. I agreed to pay the half of it. She said she didn't care about the color and I said it needed to be white. She confirmed it would be white on a text message. The fence guys came and they installed a tan colored fence that matches her house but not ours. The builder said she ordered tan color. I refused to pay my half and she threatens to go to the small claims. Should I pay? I want the fence to be taken down and replaced with a white fence as initially agreef
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She sent a letter
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/14/2016
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about this.

The answer is NO. You should not pay. If she sues you, it is likely that the Court would rule in your favor.

You agreed on a neutral color that would compliment both houses. Then she changed it to only a color that would match her own house. She cannot expect you to pay when she pulled that kind of a stunt.

Let her go and sue. Make sure you file your answer to the lawsuit and bring the text message from her confirming the color to be white.

Goodluck with your case,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law