Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have a problem what should i do. I have court on the 21

Customer Question

I have a problem what should i do. I have court on the 21 this month for a misdemeanor what should i do they won't gave me a lawyer.
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have been falsely charge with harassment but she lied she don't like me for no reason.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Why won't the court assign a lawyer? If you make too much money for a public defender, you would be expected to either retain private counsel or represent yourself. Doing the latter is not advisable if you ultimately wish to go to trial on these charges.

Many lawyers these days take credit cards, which would allow the lawyer to get paid for his work but would enable you to make small monthly payments to your card carrier. If you make too much money for a pro bono lawyer, but not enough to pay for a private attorney, you might want to look into law school criminal justice clinics were law students take on cases for course credit under the supervision of a professor.

Some of these clinics have wonderful reputations, and they have a sliding fee scale, which means that they would provide reasonably priced representation. University of Minnesota has a criminal justice system. That's one possible solution for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.