How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27109
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Did you see my post? I need advice, Colorado. I have

Customer Question

Did you see my post? I need advice
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Colorado. I have protection orders against my new neighbors and she was charged with destruction to private property
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My neighbors on the end are now harassing us. The police came last night after they claimed my boyfriend tried to run him over with the car. Nothing happened the officer agreed that nothing happened. But now there falsely accusing us of crimes.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

What is your question with regard to this incident?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do I need to file protection orders against the other neighbors now? How do I get this to stop. Can I use the intimidation from the other neighbors as violation of the protection orders? Like as a 3rd party harassment?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. Please give me a few minutes to compose an answer for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

I'm big on believing that if you can get on with your neighbors through normal communication channels, that's what you should do. Coming home at the end of the day should not be something that causes you more stress. That said, if these neighbors are unreasonable, then filing orders against them too is how you'd get this to stop.

As to whether this is 3rd party harassment, you would have to be able to show that these other neighbors are harassing you at the direction of the neighbors against whom you already have a protective order. Just remember that for a criminal action, such as a violation of a protective order, a prosecutor would have to prove that the original neighbors somehow put the other neighbors up to harassing you beyond a reasonable doubt. So if you don't have anything other than the suspicion of third party harassment, while you can and should raise the issue of a violation of the protection order with the police, it may not fly.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The neighbors that I have protection orders on also lives with a man. Since I got the orders this Man is constantly over at the other neighbors house. After the police came to my house last night while talking to the officer, this man walked over to the neighbors that called the police. They are ganging up on us.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. I agree it looks related. That doesn't mean the state can prove it, unfortunately. Again, however, you should raise it with the police because it's perfectly possible that they are making a concerted effort against you.

As another option, if you have a lawyer and your first neighbor has a lawyer, maybe having him send the first neighbor a cease and desist letter putting him on notice not to stir up the the neighbors may be something that would shut this down.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.