TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My mother is being cared for by my sister. My mother has a

Customer Question

Hello, My mother is being cared for by my sister. My mother has a home, a lot, and at least 30,000 in the checking/savings. I is looking more like my sister will need to place my mother in a nursing home here in New Mexico what happens to her money and property. She has a will that wills the house to me and the other lot to my brother. The money will be divided among the three siblings.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Mexico
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not sure I understand
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Hello again.

Q: what happens to her money and property. She has a will that wills the house to me and the other lot to my brother. The money will be divided among the three siblings.

A: The Will merely determines what happens to your mother's assets when she passes. Until then, your mother can do anything she wants with those assets. For example, if she needs to pay her medical bills, then her house or lot could be sold. If that were to happen, then the Will would obviously not be effective as to those properties. But if the properties are not sold, and assuming the Will meets all requirements during probate, then the Will must be adhered to. Accordingly, you would inherit the house.

One thing you may want to bring to your mother's attention is to determine what happens in the event that the house must be sold. For example, the Will could state that you are to be given any remaining proceeds from the sale of the house. Your mother may also wish to take action to determine how her medical bills will be paid for. For example, she could dictate that the house be sold last, and that her current money be used for that purpose first. The bot***** *****ne is that she may wish to see an attorney to determine how her assets will be used before he death.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't rate me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.