How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16378
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My adult sister has been living with my mother for

Customer Question

my adult sister has been living with my mother for approximately 1-2 months. there is no lease or anything. my mother has taken issue with my sister and her boyfriends behavior and wants to kick them out. im unsure if tenancy at will is in effect or not.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no. there's been no eviction notice, nor other paperwork filed with the courts. the issue blew up today.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can think of at the moment
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legalease replied 9 months ago.

Hello there --


If they are simply boarding there and not really paying any rent then your mother can telephone the police to have them removed and if she is having problems with the boyfriend's behavior your Mom can also file a restraining order against him so that he may not come back around again to bother her any longer. My suggestion is that you tell your Mom to do this as soon as possible because once they get to 6 months of living there, they can claim that they are formal boarders/renters (even if they do not pay rent) and the police will not kick them out at that point -- forcing your mother to give them a written notice of eviction and to go to the local eviction court if they do not move from the house within the time set forth in the notice.


Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so I will be given credit for my time assisting you today. I am not given any credit at all for answering your question today unless you press a positive rating above. THANK YOU VERY MUCH