Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My son and his girlfriend were staying in the family home.

Customer Question
their dogs (which were not...
my son and his girlfriend were staying in the family home. their dogs (which were not suposed to be there) killed my dog. They left the home only to retun with police to get some of their belongings. This was 2 monthes ago. What am I required to do with the remaining personal property
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: as in what
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: there was never a lease, they never paid any household bills
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/12/2016
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Your son and his girlfriend were considered tenants at will. Thus the landlord tenant statute governs what is considered "abandoned property." The applicable Virginia statute which gives you the specifics of what you need to do with this property is as set forth below. If you have any questions after reviewing it, just let me know and I'll be happy to help you with those questions.

"§ 55-248.38:1

Disposal of property abandoned by tenants

If any items of personal property are left in the dwelling unit, the premises, or in any storage area provided by the landlord, after the rental agreement has terminated and delivery of possession has occurred, the landlord may consider such property to be abandoned. The landlord may dispose of the property so abandoned as the landlord sees fit or appropriate, provided he has: (i) given a termination notice to the tenant in accordance with this chapter, which includes a statement that any items of personal property left in the dwelling unit or the premises would be disposed of within the 24-hour period after termination, (ii) given written notice to the tenant in accordance with § 55-248.33, which includes a statement that any items of personal property left in the dwelling unit or the premises would be disposed of within the 24-hour period after expiration of the seven-day notice period, or (iii) given a separate written notice to the tenant, which includes a statement that any items of personal property left in the dwelling unit or the premises would be disposed of within 24 hours after expiration of a 10-day period from the date such notice was given to the tenant. Any written notice to the tenant shall be given in accordance with § 55-248.6. The tenant shall have the right to remove his personal property from the dwelling unit or the premises at reasonable times during the 24-hour period after termination or at such other reasonable times until the landlord has disposed of the remaining personal property of the tenant.During the 24-hour period and until the landlord disposes of the remaining personal property of the tenant, the landlord shall not have any liability for the risk of loss for such personal property. If the landlord fails to allow reasonable access to the tenant to remove his personal property as provided in this section, the tenant shall have a right to injunctive or other relief as provided by law. If the landlord received any funds from any sale of abandoned property as provided in this section, the landlord shall pay such funds to the account of the tenant and apply same to any amounts due the landlord by the tenant, including the reasonable costs incurred by the landlord in selling, storing or safekeeping such property. If any such funds are remaining after application, the remaining funds shall be treated as a security deposit under the provisions of § 55-248.15:1. The provisions of this section shall not be applicable if the landlord has been granted a writ of possession for the premises in accordance with Title 8.01 and execution of such writ has been completed pursuant to § 8.01-470."

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney