Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Ijust found out while l was undocumented my exwife was

Customer Question
getting public assistance for my...
Ijust found out while l was undocumented my exwife was getting public assistance for my daughter for over five years.I am now permanent resident for over ten years .lam about to apply for my citzenship.Will she taking public assistance be a problem.lhave being filling my taxes for over ten years and at no time was my return garnished for child support.What do you think?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/12/2016
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

Here it depends on whether she named you as a father.If she did they could still file on you.You might as well file for benefits and see if they pursue you.It is possible but probably unlikely after 10 years.You may want to take your chances here to get the benefits.But thats your judgment call here, it totally depends on whether she put unknown for the father or named you and whether they pursue this.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

NY has a 20 year sol on child support so it is still possible they would come after you.

http://www.divorcelawyerlongisland.com/media/press-releases/child-support-twenty-year-statute/

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

If you can leave a positive 5 star rating it is always much appreciated.

Ray, Lawyer