How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41043
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ijust found out while l was undocumented my exwife was

Customer Question

Ijust found out while l was undocumented my exwife was getting public assistance for my daughter for over five years.I am now permanent resident for over ten years .lam about to apply for my citzenship.Will she taking public assistance be a problem.lhave being filling my taxes for over ten years and at no time was my return garnished for child support.What do you think?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Here it depends on whether she named you as a father.If she did they could still file on you.You might as well file for benefits and see if they pursue you.It is possible but probably unlikely after 10 years.You may want to take your chances here to get the benefits.But thats your judgment call here, it totally depends on whether she put unknown for the father or named you and whether they pursue this.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

NY has a 20 year sol on child support so it is still possible they would come after you.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

If you can leave a positive 5 star rating it is always much appreciated.